Summary of IS 16046(Part 1):2018/IEC 62133-1:2017 to IS 16046(Part 2):2018/IEC 62133-2:2017 – “Secondary Cells and Batteries Containing Alkaline or Other Non-Acid Electrolytes”
1. IS 16046:2015/IEC 62133: 2012 has been revised and published in the following two parts:
|IS 16046 (Part 1): 2018/ IEC 62133-1: 2017||IS 16046 (Part 2): 2018/ IEC 62133-2:2017|
|This includes Safety Requirements for Secondary Cells and Batteries of Nickel Chemistry Containing Alkaline or Other Non-Acid Electrolytes to be used in Portable applications.||This includes Safety Requirements for Secondary Cells and Batteries of Lithium Chemistry Containing Alkaline or Other Non-Acid Electrolytes to be used in Portable applications|
|Testing Clauses Included||Testing Clauses Included|
|• Assembly of cells into Batteries||• Insulation and wiring|
|• Insulation and wiring||• Assembly of cells into batteries|
|• Temperature Cycling||• Design recommendations|
|• Thermal Abuse in cells||• External short circuit for cell & battery|
|• Crush test on cells||• Thermal abuse in cells|
|• Caution remarks for small cells and batteries||• Crush test on cells|
|• Packaging particularly for Button and Coin cells||• Over Charging of batteries|
|• Forced Discharge for Cells|
|• Additional mechanical tests|
|• Additional mechanical tests|
|• Caution remarks for small cells and batteries|
|• Packaging particularly for Button and Coin cells|
2. Button and coin cells are covered under the scope of new standards.
3. The last date for implementation of the revised Standards is March 14th, 2020 after which the old Standard IS 16046:2015/IEC 62133: 2012 shall stand cancelled.
4. There will be concurrent running of both the standard till March 14th, 2020.
5. Fresh applications for GOL / CSOL as per old version shall be accepted only up to February 14th, 2020.
1. Existing manufacturers having Registrations as per IS 16046: 2015 shall apply for a new Registration No. through the portal as per the applicable Indian Standard (IS 16046: Part 1: 2018 for Ni systems/ IS 16046: Part 2: 2018 for Li systems.
2. If both Nickel and Lithium systems are covered under the scope of IS 16046: 2015, then application for two separate registration numbers have to be submitted i.e. One for Nickel and other for Lithium.
3. A separate link on BIS portal for changeover of existing registrations as per old standard to new registrations as per new standard is expected to become active by next 15 days.
4. Validity of new registration no. as per IS 16046: (Part1/Part 2): 2018 will be the same as per the validity of old registration no. as per IS 16046: 2015.
5. All subsequent changeover request have to be submitted under new registration no. only.
6.Both the registrations will stand valid till March 14th, 2020 only. After this, the registration number as per old standard will stand cancelled.
7. Inclusion Requests as per IS 16046: 2015 will be accepted under old registration no. till February 14th, 2019.
8. BIS Government Fees for changeover will be the sum of Application fee and Annual License fee i.e. Rs.3000+18% GST (approx. USD55).
9. List of Documents to be submitted:
• AIR Nomination
• Standard Update Test Report
• Old Test Report
• Previous Grant Letter/Inclusion Letter
• Affidavit cum Undertaking
1. In Case Manufacturer don’t wish to apply for changeover, they may apply for granting a new registration no. which will include complete testing and registration process.
2. All the necessary documents from Factory, Brand and AIR along with fresh test report are required.
3. Validity of old registration number will not be linked to new registration no. The validity of new registration number will be considered as per the date of application.
4. Inclusion(s) as per revised standard will be processed under new registration no.
5. BIS Government Fees: Rs.53000+18%GST (approx. USD1,000).
1. For Registrations having validity till March 14th, 2020:
• Application for renewal with all applicable fees have to be submitted under old registration number as per IS 16046:2015.
• After March 14th, 2020, the validity of old registration number will be transferred to new registration number as per IS 16046 (Part1/Part 2): 2018 automatically.
• The registration number as per IS 16046:2015 will be stand cancelled after March 14th, 2020.
2. For Registrations having validity after March 14th, 2020:
•Manufacturer shall submit the application for renewal with all applicable fees under the new Registration No(s) only.
1. Cell needs to be registered as per 2018 version prior to the registration of battery as per 2018 version. Merging of both the standards (for example battery as per IS 16046:2018 and cell as per IS 16046:2015 or vice versa) is not allowed.
2. Registration applications of Cells and Batteries have to be submitted under separate applications.
3. Once New registration no. will be granted to Battery/cell, CCL update needs to be applied for Host Products (Example: Mobiles, Tablets etc.).
4. There is no minimum and maximum capacity defined in the standard, all the Batteries used in Portable applications are covered. As of now, definition of portable have to be taken from IS 16047. Further, BIS is working for more specific definition of portable applications and same is expected to be released soon.
5. Batteries of Electric Vehicles are not covered. However, if the same Battery is being used in other products which are portable, then battery have to be registered with BIS.
**Enforcement date of Battery Standard update is March 14 ,2020. After this date battery/cells BIS requests as per IS 16046:2015 will not be allowed.
**Concurrent running of both the standards till March 14, 2020 is allowed.